Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Chasing the dream...

Depression hit hard as soon as I got back to Sydney. I guess Melbourne always had that effect on me or any kind of holiday that I come from on that matter. I don't know what it is about Sydney that just make people so hard hearted and cold. Other people might disagree but Sydney has definitely changed like it has lost a part of it's soul, for me anyway.

I was just about to give up on being a Pastry Chef and already considering other alternatives when I stumbled upon this ad looking for an apprentice Chocolatier. And it was all alarm bells a-ringing and more. Could this be a sign? And before you know it, I scored an interview the following day, a trial the following week and the job days later. It was probably one of the best days of my life!

It was nothing like I have ever imagined. It's a lot of hard work, training and more training. Working with chocolates required more than talent, it required a lot of patience, skill, a lot of love and a whole lot of passion. For the first time in my life I actually have to work for something, work really hard for something. It required a lot of humbling down and a lot of motivation to keep myself going.

A dear friend told me something once which I never really understood at the time- "It's important not to get ahead of yourself. Be humble and never think you are better than what you think you are."  And if you don't either I suggest you work with chocolates. Because one day you'd think you can temper perfectly and the next day you might not be able to. Chocolates require a lot of trust, intuition. instinct and it involves a whole lot of science. I definitely understand what she meant now and I would take it with me wherever I go, especially working in an industry where ego always tend to over-exceed talent.

So here I go one step at a time to reaching the wonderful dream..


White chocolate lotus 

No comments:

Post a Comment