Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Honesty is the best policy.

If there was anything significant that I've learned in the past 3 months that I have been working in Kakawa Chocolates, it's being honest with food. With all the new fancy food that has been coming out lately, it's hard to find food lately that hasn't been defined or labelled in some sort of fancy schmancy twang only to be disappointed with the actual execution.

Now, to be fair I have really high expectations when it comes to food and desserts. One of my close friends have actually labelled me a "food wanker" because I have this really irritating habit of trying to change or adding something to food whenever I order to make it "better". Either that or it's just really difficult now to really "wow" me with the food or it takes me forever to actually find something that I like in the menu. My excuse for that is because I work in an industry where having a food-wankerish palate is in my job description - it lies in the territory. I have to know what's good, great and what works together.

That being said, although my standards have not really dropped my understanding of food has definitely changed. I've learnt that you don't need fancy, exotic and complicated combinations to make food interesting. Sometimes the simpler the food is, the better it is. If the food is executed right, changes and tweaks don't have to be made that's why it is imperative that basics have to be grasped and mastered and other techniques following that.


No comments:

Post a Comment